Volunteering is a great way to help sustain market operations is a wonderful opportunity to:
- learn where your food comes from
- get to know some of the producers
- join a dedicated group of volunteers who care about what they eat & enjoy some outdoor park time.
- discover local food and how to eat seasonally
SHIFTS, but not limited to (market operates rain or shine):
- 12:30pm to 2pm – Organizers set up: includes, tent, pylons to reserve/monitor vendor parking, signage i.e. sandwich boards, playground banner and location clean up.
- 2pm to 3:30pm – Vendor load in: helping transport product from vendor vehicles to stall location.
- 3:30 to 7:45 Flexible time frame tbd with volunteer. Primary purpose is to help hold the fort, assist in any tasks required.
- 6:30pm to 7:45pm – All of the above, but in reverse. Wrap it all up neat and tidy, leave no footprint.
You may commit to a time frame that works best for you i.e. 3 months at any point of season. Consistency is much appreciated.
If you would like to join our volunteer team, please fill out the VOLUNTEER APPLICATION FORM print and email to email@example.com. Click HERE for important things to heed for ‘Successful Volunteering at TBFM’. Note: we do our best to accommodate all volunteer applicants. In the event we get an influx, we may have to put applications on hold.
Alternatively, if you can’t volunteer on the day of market, there are other ways to contribute in off/prep season e.g. flyer distribution, painting things, handy person stuff, social media, outreach. None of these? Perhaps you have a different particular skill to offer? Let us know. We’ll put you to good use if we can. 😉
Special thank you to these community volunteers, in perpetuity, for significant and continuing, contributions to the market:
- Scott Cinello – for partnering with me as co-founder to get this baby off the ground. He was instrumental in designing the market, it’s mandate and curated the original vendor line up. All of which continue to guide the principles of the market to this day.
- Kent Price – shelves/coat rack for the market shed and other ongoing handy stuff.
- Martha Malloy and Connor – x4 promotional sandwich boards (they are awesome).
- Veronica Park – Illustrator and designer extrodinaire of our postcard – she was winner of the postcard design contest in 2015 – who continues to do revisions when called for. Drew the awesome 2018 buttons illustrations.
- Nadege Patisserie and The County General for storing our sandwich boards at their establishments between market days during the season.
- David Ginsberg of the White Squirrel Cafe – who on his own initiative, rallied a handful of businesses to donate funds towards replacement our wagons and dolly that had gotten stolen from the old shed when it was busted into.
- David Johnston – our website master (who responds to my every self-induced backend panic)
- Nativity of the Mother of God – letting us store our equipment in their garage while we waited for our new shed in 2010. Water for our hand washing station and being supportive neighbours.
- Claire Midgley (lettering) & Ed DeSousa (background) – painting our ‘Vendor Parking Only’ sign.
- Bob Pritchard – painting our ‘slow down’ cyclist signage, that evolved to ‘walk your bike’ sign in 2016.
- Also to every volunteer that has made and makes the committment to come out on a regular basis to help set up/wrap during the season. Thank you for your generosity towards sustaining market operations.
Notably from the above group is Gay Couillard, who has been volunteering since our inaugural year, 2007! An amazing source of consultation and great conversation. Noteworthy: Mike Pettigrew, Sheri McGraw, Tessa Paucha, Arla Good, Jacqueline Bruner, Sara Mclean, Kirk Heron, Shawn Vanderheyden, Georgia Ydreos and Dawn Rzepka.