UPDATE July 17th, 2020
We are currently only looking for volunteers for Sept and Oct.2020.
DUE TO THE PANDEMIC there is a new VOLUNTEER APPLICATION form to use to reflect the current situation. Alternatively here’s the online version. Below is a brief of duties with more details to come as things develop.
In preparation and anticipation for when we do get back into the park, we want to get started with assembling our ‘ace 2020 pandemic team’ to be ready. It is important to understand and accept that the market will not be operating in the usual manner. It’s going to be a one person per household, get in/get out shopping scenario with a controlled entrance. It’ll be a tight ship or it’s not going to work. Unfortunately, it’s not the social hub we all love, but a pandemic is on and it has not gone away. I am confident that we can do this safely for our vendors, volunteers and patrons alike.
A brief of what Volunteers that apply must be prepare to do and be comfortable with:
– following pandemic protocols (distancing, masks, hand sanitizing etc.)
– be a team player and follow accurate directive from manager of the plan.
– approach/talk to people to explain protocols of market, give directions to them.
– monitoring & regulating entrance/exit/Do Not Enter zones and line ups.
– be conscientious and courteous at all times.
Operations will require at least 8-10 volunteers at any given time in the pandemic model. Possibly more can be accommodated once the tally is in. Volunteers must be available for a mandatory orientation sessions prior to market start. Once the market is has started, we may not be able to accept late/last minute volunteer applicants.
Special thank you to these community volunteers, in perpetuity, for significant and continuing, contributions to the market:
- Scott Cinello – for partnering with me as co-founder to get this baby off the ground. He was instrumental in designing the market, it’s mandate and curated the original vendor line up. All of which continue to guide the principles of the market to this day.
- Kent Price – shelves/coat rack for the market shed and other ongoing handy stuff.
- Martha Malloy and Connor – x4 promotional sandwich boards (they are awesome).
- Veronica Park – Illustrator and designer extrodinaire of our postcard – she was winner of the postcard design contest in 2015 – who continues to do revisions when called for. Drew the awesome 2018 buttons illustrations.
- Nadege Patisserie and The County General for storing our sandwich boards at their establishments between market days during the season.
- David Ginsberg of the White Squirrel Cafe – who on his own initiative, rallied a handful of businesses to donate funds towards replacement our wagons and dolly that had gotten stolen from the old shed when it was busted into.
- David Johnston – our website master (who responds to my every self-induced backend panic)
- Nativity of the Mother of God – letting us store our equipment in their garage while we waited for our new shed in 2010. Water for our hand washing station and being good neighbours.
- Claire Midgley (lettering) & Ed DeSousa (background) – painting our ‘Vendor Parking Only’ sign.
- Bob Pritchard – painting our ‘slow down’ cyclist signage, that evolved to ‘walk your bike’ sign in 2016.
- Also to every volunteer that has made and makes the committment to come out on a regular basis to help set up/wrap during the season. Thank you for your generosity towards sustaining market operations.
Notably from the above group is Gay Couillard, who has been volunteering since our inaugural year, 2007! An amazing source of consultation and great conversation. Noteworthy: Mike Pettigrew, Sheri McGraw, Tessa Paucha, Arla Good, Jacqueline Bruner, Sara Mclean, Kirk Heron, Shawn Vanderheyden, Georgia Ydreos and Dawn Rzepka.